Courses

Courses Run by Need A Psych

All courses are offered as post graduate courses suitable for health professionals as components for the Continuing professional Development hours. In 2015 the following courses will be offered:

Mental Health for the Non-Mental Health Clinician

Effective Clinical Communication

Counseling Skills

If a business has at least 20 people that have similar concerns then Need A Psych is willing to work with you to design a course specific to your needs. Please contact us to discuss this option.

Mental Health for the Non-Mental Health Clinician

If you work with people then you are working with people’s mental health. The person needs to consent to treatment, understand what you are talking about and then carry out the instructions to achieve the therapeutic outcome. It doesn’t matter if your treatment aims to help a person write, walk, or ride a bike. Their mental health comes into play. This training program is designed to give physical health clinicians an understanding of the major mental health concerns and how they will impact on your ability to achieve physical health outcomes.

What if your client has ADHD? Do you know the three different types of ADHD and how they look in therapy? What about how it affects the person’s ability to remember what they are supposed to be doing or their sense of self being more like a series of commercials than a feature length movie. We will cover the major pervasive developmental disorders including Attention Deficit Hyperactive Disorder (ADHD), Oppositional Defiant Disorder (ODD), and Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) including the older diagnosis of Asperger’s Syndrome.

And how about your client’s mood? The person might be depressed, anxious, bipolar, if so is it that the person has one of these disorders or are they symptoms of their personality? We discuss the differences between the Axis 1 mood disorders and the mood disturbances that come as part of personality disorders. We look at ways that you can manage these mood disturbances so they minimise the effect on you and also minimise the interruption to the therapy process.

By completing this course you will be able to:

  • Better understand and accommodate common mental health issues
  • Be aware of and know how to work with client’s families whose mental health concerns may impact upon your therapy with your client.
  • Be able to identify when a referral to a mental health clinician is more appropriate.

Format:

This course uses face to face teaching methods to help you develop a better understanding of how mental health concerns impact your work with your clients. Bring your questions, your challenging cases and we will discuss the possible mental health components. All notes will be provided during the course and discussing your particular cases will form a key ingredient in your learning. You won’t be simply reading a book or being read to, you will be practicing the skills from the first hour!

Duration:

2 full days sessions. These run from 9am till 5pm each day

CPD:

This course would give 14 hours of CPD training when the two full days are attended.

Dates for Sydney:

April 27th and 28th 2015
Early bird payment dates finish

Cost:

$650 (including GST) Deposit $130

To ensure your place on a course a non-refundable deposit of 20% must be placed 30 days prior to the date of the first day of the course. The remaining 80% being the full payment is to be made Before 15 days of the first day of the course.

Early Bird discount. If you book and pay in full for the course 60 days or more prior to the first day of the course you will get 10% off. This would make this course cost $585, saving you $65.

Cancellations after payment: both normal rate and early bird rates that that are cancelled within 10 days of the start of the course will incur the full fee of the course. If the cancellation occurs more than 10 days prior to the start of the course then the deposit amount of $260 will not be refunded but all amounts above this amount will be. This amount is the same for both early bird rates and normal rates.

Contact us to discuss booking a place.

Effective Clinical Communication Skills

Being an effective communicator in today’s health professions is essential. Achieving that requires that you are able to understand your clients and your clients can understand you! This course will increase your ability to communicate effectively with people of various ages, cultures and ethnicities.

In today’s health professions your client may be the person who is the direct recipient of your services, their family or other health professionals. The person may come from the same generation, gender and culture as you. However, it is more likely that they will come from a variety of cultures, age groups and genders. It is for this reason that using the skills of cross-cultural clinical communication will help you when working with people from a variety of groups, cultures and professions. By completing this course you will be able to:

  • Communicate effectively
  • Increase your understanding of your clients’ obstacles
  • Boost client collaboration

This style of communication draws on the ethnographic techniques (Boyle, 1994; Fitzgerald, 1997; Spradley, 1979) developed in anthropology. These techniques are adapted to work with health client populations. This also allows you to effectively communicate with people who view themselves in different ways to yourself. This might include collectivist compared with individualist ideas (Davies, 1999) or people who have mental health issues. This advanced technique will also give you the skills to provide a “thick description” (Geertz, 1973), which uses aspects such as the context, nuances, and inflections to increase your effective communication skills.

During this course you will learn not only the theory of effective clinical communication yet most importantly the skills to put them into practice. Our courses all focus on converting the theory into lived experience. To achieve this you will not only gain new skills yet during the course use these skills so that you feel competent with them on completion. This practical focus means that you can begin using the skills straight away.

Using these skills will allow you to develop working relationships with your clients to better achieve their health outcomes. This is achieved by being able to appropriately acknowledge your client’s actions and concerns (Phillips, Kelk & Fitzgerald, 2007).

FORMAT:

This course uses face to face teaching methods to help you develop the skills not just the theory of effective communication. All notes will be provided during the course and interactive sessions will form a key ingredient in your learning. You won’t be simply reading a book or being read to, you will be practicing the skills from the first hour!

Duration:

2 full days sessions. These run from 9am till 5pm each day

CPD:

This course would give 14 hours of CPD training when the two full days are attended.

Dates for Sydney:

March 9th and 10th 2015

Cost:

$650 (including GST) Deposit $130

To ensure your place on a course a non-refundable deposit of 20% must be placed 30 days prior to the date of the first day of the course. The remaining 80% being the full payment is to be made before 15 days of the first day of the course.

Early Bird discount. If you book and pay in full for the course 60 days or more prior to the first day of the course you will get 10% off. This would make this course cost $585, saving you $65.

Cancellations after payment: both normal rate and early bird rates that that are cancelled within 10 days of the start of the course will incur the full fee of the course. If the cancellation occurs more than 10 days prior to the start of the course then the deposit amount of $260 will not be refunded but all amounts above this amount will be. This amount is the same for both early bird rates and normal rates.

Contact us to discuss booking a place.

Counseling Skills

Counseling is more than just communicating with other people, it is communication that can create change and benefit the person. We are all aware that sometimes things are said that are hurtful and affect peoples’ view of themselves. However, knowing what is the therapeutic thing to say is sometimes far more difficult to work out. Do you hug the person who is crying, or let them cry? When a person says “I don’t know” does it mean they don’t know or that they want you to give them the answer? These are some of the challenges that health professionals face on a regular basis. Counseling skills help you deal with these situations whether the person has come to you for physical, mental or social reasons.

By completing this course you will be able to:

  • Assist client’s develop mature ways of coping with the world
  • Help clients learn how to make decisions in their life
  • Provide therapy for mental health disorders listed in the DSM-V

The course is based on a client centered approach to counseling that places the client’s ability to choose and act on those choices as the primary focus. This ability is known as agency and as Bandura (2006, p. 170) says:

Unless people believe they can produce desired effects by their actions, they have little incentive to act, or to persevere in the face of difficulties. Whatever other factors serve as guides and motivators, they are rooted in the core belief that one has the power to effect changes by one’s actions.

Yet as many of us in health professions know being motivated to act is not enough. The person must know what to act on, what part of their life is the area they wish to change, and then commit to changing it.

The techniques taught in this course will allow you to help your clients to gain insight into their concerns. By completing this course when a barrier is reached in the process of insight you will have the skills to overcome the barrier using advanced counseling techniques. This can be sued with clients who may have depression, dissociation or PTSD.

Once the person has reached insight it is important that they then make a plan to turn that desire into reality. This seems simple, yet for many it is much easier said than done. The techniques taught in this course will help you as a therapist in guiding clients to create a plan to achieve their desires.

Using these skills will allow you as a therapist to feel competent to provide counseling services to clients who are in need.

Duration:

4 full day sessions, taught as two lots of two days. These will run from 9am till 5pm each day.

CPD:

This course would give 28 hours of CPD training when the two full days are attended.

Dates for Sydney:

May 4th and 5th 2015 first two days

June 8th and 9th 2015 second two days

All four days must be completed

Cost:

$1300 (including GST) deposit $260

To ensure your place on a course a non-refundable deposit of 20% must be placed 30 days prior to the date of the first day of the course. The remaining 80% being the full payment is to be made before 15 days of the first day of the course.

Early Bird discount. If you book and pay in full for the course 60 days or more prior to the first day of the course you will get 10% off. This would make this course cost $1170, saving you $130.

Cancelations after payment: both normal rate and early bird rates that that are cancelled within 10 days of the start of the course will incur the full fee of the course. If the cancellation occurs more than 10 days prior to the start of the course then the deposit amount of $260 will not be refunded but all amounts above this amount will be. This amount is the same for both early bird rates and normal rates.

Contact us to discuss booking a place.

REFERENCES

Bandura, A. (2006). Toward a psychology of human agency. Perspectives on Psychological Science, 1(2), 164-180.

Boyle, J. S. (1994). Styles of ethnography. In J. M. Morse (Ed.), Critical issues in qualitative research methods (pp. 159-185). London: Sage.

Davies, C. A. (1999). Reflexive ethnography: A guide to researching selves and others. London: Routledge.

Fitzgerald, M. H. (1997). Ethnography. In J. Higgs (Ed.), Qualitative research: Discourse on methodologies (pp. 48-60). Sydney: Hampden Press and The Centre for Professional Education Advancement, The University of Sydney.

Geertz, C. (1973). Thick description: Toward an interpretive theory of culture. In C. Geertz (Ed.), The interpretation of culture (pp. 3-33). New York: Basic Books.

Phillips, P. A., Kelk, N., Fitzgerald, M. H. (2007) Object or person: The difference lies in the constructed identity. Journal of Occupational Science, 14(3), p. 162-171.

Spradley, J. P. (1979). The ethnographic interview. Orlando: Holt, Reinhart and Winston Inc.